The aim of the clinical immersion is to provide team training on Fast Track Bariatric & Metabolic Procedures. The introduction of the fast track program improves short-term recovery, patient flow and may reduce direct hospital-related resources.
Participants of this program will have the opportunity to:
- Discuss different bariatric procedures during live cases (RYGB, Sleeve Gastrectomy, SADI-S and Revisional Surgery) with expert faculty
- Learn how to implement fast track and improve OR organization
- Discuss patient cases with expert faculty and learn how to better manage complications
- Get an insight in the eHealth & 5-year follow-up patient pathway
This program is designed for multi-disciplinary teams that would like to implement fast track within their bariatric department and grow their number of procedures per day.
The team should have a good understanding on how to perform laparoscopic bariatric (RYGB & Sleeve Gastrectomy) procedures.
The maximum capacity is a team of 6 participants. The optimal team set up contains a minimum of 2 bariatric surgeons, 1 anesthesiologist, 1 scrub nurse, 1 nutritionist and 1 OR manager.
By attending this course, participants will:
- Learn to implement fast track as a team
- Discuss patient screening and total patient pathway optimization (including long-term follow-up & eHealth)
- Gain insights in individual techniques and technical tricks for metabolic surgery
- Obtain a better view on the safe and effective use of laparoscopic staplers, ultrasonic, and advanced bi-polar energy devices
Catharina Hospital Eindhoven.
Arrival on Day 1 in the morning or in the evening the day before.
Live cases, lectures and discussion.
Evening: Scientific discussion and dinner with faculty.
Lectures and tour of the obesity center.
Flight departing earliest at 5 PM.
- Live surgery – RYGB/Sleeve Gastrectomy/Revisional Surgery
- Post/pre-operation briefing
- How to implement fast track – multi-disciplinary approach
- Clinical outcomes overview & link to Dutch Audit for Treatment of Obesity (DATO) registry
- Tips & tricks on how to increase patient volume according to fast track
- Anesthesiology protocol
- Financial impact of fast track implementation
- Evening: Scientific discussion and dinner with Faculty
- Visit of the obesity centre and patient group session
- Nutrition protocol after surgery
- Patient pathway after care & 5-year follow-up
- Remote follow-up of patient and eHealth promotion
Optional: Extra live surgery cases can be added to the program.